External Third Party—FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is a Third Party Authorization Form?
  • A Letter of Authorization from the sponsor is required to document the sponsor's commitment to pay designated education expenses for a sponsored student. This document can be a purchase order, standard form from your employer, Financial Guarantee, or a tuition assistance contract on company letterhead. (A third party deferral contract will not be accepted if it restricts payment or is in any way conditional.)

  • Where do I get a Third Party Authorization Form?
  • A Third Party Authorization Form must be provided by your employer or sponsor. Please check with your human resources department or Education Officer to confirm the process for applying tuition assistance.

  • What kind of information must be listed on the Third Party Authorization Form?
    • Be written in English on the organization/company's official letterhead.
    • A specific description of fees, charges, and the amount to be assumed by your organization, such as tuition and mandatory fees, late registration fees, or late payment fees. No credit will be granted for fees unless specified.
    • Student's name and UW Campus id or last four digits of SSN# (XXX-XX-9999).
    • Each authorization will be valid for one semester unless otherwise specified (specific timeframe or specific semesters).
    • The signature, telephone number, and email of the authorizing official.
    • The billing address;
      • Organization Billing name
      • Organization physical location; street, city, state, country, & postal code
    • How payment will be made (by check or wire transfer).
    • Special Instructions (for requests that we are able to accommodate).
  • Where should I send my Third Party Authorization Form?
  • Submit a Third Party Authorization Form (with campus id), at the time of registration, using one of the following methods:

    • E-mail (preferred): Please email your Third Party Authorization Form to thirdparty@bussvc.wisc.edu
    • Hard Copy can be dropped off at:

      Bursar's Office – Third Party Billing
      333 East Campus Mall #10501
      Madison, WI 53715-1383
    • Fax: If fax is the only way you can submit your tuition assistance form, please fax it to 608-265-3201.
  • What should I do if I don't have the Third Party Authorization Form by the payment due date?
  • If you do not have an Third Party Authorization Form when you register or by the payment due date, please make payment arrangements to pay the bill in full.

  • When can I expect my Third Party Authorization Form to be processed?
  • A Third Party Authorization Form will be processed within 48 hours of receipt. If your account does not reflect the third party deferral credit after 72 hours, please call us at 608-262-3612.

  • When will you send the bill or invoice to my sponsor for payment?
  • Invoices will be sent to your sponsor after the add/drop period, which is about a month after the class start date (unless the sponsor requests the invoices to be forwarded sooner).

  • Does University of Wisconsin Madison accept tuition reimbursement agreements as proof of payment?
  • No. Tuition reimbursement is an arrangement between you and your employer. You are responsible to pay your tuition by the due date regardless of whether your employer has reimbursed you.

Contact Information

Bursar's Office—Third Party Billing
Cathy Stamm
333 East Campus Mall #10501
Madison, WI 53715-1383