External Third Party Authorization Forms

A Letter of Authorization from the sponsor is required to document the sponsor's commitment to pay designated education expenses for a sponsored student. This document can be a purchase order, standard form from your employer or a tuition assistance contract on company letterhead. (A third party deferral contract will not be accepted if it restricts payment or is in any way conditional.)

Authorizations must include the following:

  1. Be written in English on the organization/company's official letterhead.
  2. A specific description of fees, charges, and the amount to be assumed by your organization, such as tuition and mandatory fees, late registration fees, or late payment fees. No credit will be granted for fees unless specified.
  3. Student's name and UW Campus id or last four digits of SSN# (XXX-XX-9999).
  4. Each authorization will be valid for one semester unless otherwise specified (specific timeframe or specific semesters).
  5. The signature, telephone number, and email of the authorizing official.
  6. The billing address;
    • Organization Billing name
    • Organization physical location; street, city, state, country, & postal code
  7. How payment will be made (by check or wire transfer).
  8. Special Instructions (for requests that we are able to accommodate).

Military/Federal Tuition Assistance

University of Wisconsin–Madison is proud to offer flexible education options to military students and their families. If you are receiving military tuition assistance, please contact your Education Officer for specific information on your branch of service's policies. An approved tuition assistance form must be presented to the Bursar's Office Third Party Billing. This form may be forwarded as an email attachment to thirdparty@bussvc.wisc.edu.

The Department of Defense and some branches of services use forms SF182 and/or DD1155 as an approval for tuition assistance. The SF182 must have Section C, Box 6 Invoicing Instructions completed. If the invoice is to be submitted through the WAWF system by the University, the DD1155 must be submitted with a Standard Form 36. Standard Form 36 will include the WAWF information needed to submit the invoice through the WAWF system.

Veteran’s Benefits

Please contact the VA Certifying Official, Joe Rasmussen (608) 265-4628, or John Bechtol , Assistant Dean of Students (608) 890-2701, to receive assistance with questions and paperwork. http://registrar.wisc.edu/student_veteran_services.htm

Submit the External Third Party Authorization Forms by the start of classes or earlier, using one of the following methods:

  • Email: Please email the Third Party Authorization Form as an attachment to thirdparty@bussvc.wisc.edu
  • Mail:
    University of Wisconsin-Madison
    Third Party Billing
    333 East Campus Mall #10501
    Madison, WI 53715-1383
  • Fax: Please fax to: 608-265-3201

Important Notes

  • Please allow 48 hours for your student account to be updated.
  • The student can verify the third party deferral has been applied, by going on line at the student center (Log into http://my.wisc.edu, go to Student Center >Tuition Account Summary) and view their student tuition account.
  • Once the third party deferral has been applied, the amount assumed by the sponsor is deferred to the sponsor's account. No exchange of money has taken place at this time. UW-Madison reserves the right to reinstate all unpaid third party tuition invoices back to the student account. You, the student, are ultimately responsible for all charges posted to your account.
  • If the sponsor is not paying the entire tuition and fee cost, the student must pay the remaining balance before the tuition due date in order to avoid a late payment fee.
  • If the sponsor's authorization is not received prior to the tuition due date, the student is responsible for payment of the late payment fee.

Contact Information

Bursar's Office—Third Party Billing
Cathy Stamm
333 East Campus Mall #10501
Madison, WI 53715-1383