Tuition & Fee Student Account Information
Excess Financial Aid
I applied for financial aid. Will I get a check for the financial aid? If so, when will I get my check, and where will the check be mailed?
- Financial aid is applied to the student's Tuition Account to first pay tuition and fees.
- If the amount of financial aid is more than the tuition account balance due, a refund is mailed to the student.
- Refunds are mailed to the student's active "Mailing" address on My UW.
- If there is no active "mailing" address, the refund is sent to the active "Home" address on
- If neither address exists, a refund cannot be processed until the student adds a "Mailing" address on
- Students can view the date a refund is processed and address where mailed on their MY UW>Student Center>Tuition Account Summary.
- Please allow 10 business days for mail delivery after a refund is processed.
Can I pick up a refund at the Bursar's Office?
- No, refunds are processed by an outside vendor and delivered via U.S. Mail.
I received a bill after I received a refund check, why do I have a balance due?
- If you drop classes or withdraw after a refund is processed and your financial aid is reduced, you owe that amount back to UW-Madison.