Tuition Account Refunds
Visit the Office of Student Financial Aid for financial aid eligibility, application, and award information at: http://finaid.wisc.edu/index.htm.
- Financial Aid Permission Instructions and Information
- Student Permission for Financial Aid to pay all tuition charges
- Rescind Student Permission for Financial Aid to pay all tuition charges
All financial aid, (loans, grants and scholarships), is applied to the student tuition account to pay tuition only; financial aid does not apply to pay housing charges.
- Private scholarship checks:
Most organizations mail scholarship checks directly to the Bursar’s Office.
- Deliver checks you receive to the Bursar’s Office with any documents that came with the check.
- Write student name, campus ID, scholarship on the check.
- UW-Madison based scholarship awards: The department submits scholarship awards directly to the Bursar’s Office.
- Loans and Grants: Begin applying to student tuition accounts the week before the term starts.
If there are remaining funds after tuition is paid, a refund is issued to the student.
- A refund can be used to pay housing, buy books, or for other costs of education.
Exception: A check is mailed to the parent if remaining funds are from a Parent PLUS loan – unless the box authorizing the refund to the student is checked on the loan application. More refund information is at: Tuition Account Refunds page
Paper Loan Checks: The majority of loans are received electronically. If the Bursar's Office receives a paper loan check payable to the student, the student is contacted by e-mail to stop by the Bursar's Office to endorse the check before it can be applied to the tuition account.
- If unable to come to the Bursar's Office to sign a check, contact the Bursar's Office to make endorsement and tuition payment arrangements.
Submit forms, checks, questions to:
The University of Wisconsin - Madison
333 East Campus Mall #10501
Madison, WI 53715-1383
Phone: 608-262-3611 (Open until 4:30 PM)
Monday through Friday 7:45 AM to 4:00 PM
(Wednesdays open at 9:15)