Policy/Procedure: 201.M Non-Payable/Reimbursable Expenses
Statement of Policy
Following is a list of expenses which are not payable/reimbursable with university funds.
Note: Sponsored projects (e.g., fund 144 or 133) are subject to the terms and conditions of the specific award, as well as applicable program guidelines, which may restrict use of funds for certain types of expenses. Please contact the RSP accountant for your award with any questions.
Note: The list is not all inclusive.
- Expenses which do not have a UW-Madison business purpose
- Professional License Fees
- Late payment penalties and interest on My Corporate Card
- Items that require a receipt and no receipt showing payment is provided
- Alcoholic beverages
- Spouse or family member's travel costs (Chancellor's and President's spouse and host may be allowable with justification and proper approval)
- Personal telephone calls, personal internet charges, personal fax charges
- Lost/stolen cash or personal property
- Personal items and services, (e.g. toiletries, luggage, clothes, haircuts, etc.)
- Avoidable expenses for non-business related activities, such as sightseeing tours, golf outings, etc.
- Traffic citations, parking tickets and other fines
- Extra fuel costs incurred to have a vehicle rental vendors refuel vehicles at above market fuel rates
- Additional charges incurred for personal reasons involving vehicle rentals
- Locksmith charges on either fleet, rental or personal vehicle, except when fleet or rental vehicles experience mechanical problems
- Excess cost of circuitous or side trips for personal reasons
- Parking costs at the assigned workplace
- Repairs, towing service, lubrication, etc., for personal vehicles
- Meals included in the cost of airfare, registration fees
- Pay-per-view movies in hotel/motel room
- Personal entertainment
- Extra costs for additional person(s) in room
- Additional charges for late checkout or un-cancelled guaranteed reservations (unless justified)
- Lodging cost at unlicensed facilities unless there is a substantial cost benefit to the UW (must attach justification)
- Lodging within 50 miles of the headquarters city (unless properly justified and approved)
- Extra baggage charges for personal items, such as golf clubs, skis, etc.
- Airline, car, hotel, and corporate card club membership dues
- Childcare costs
- Kennel fees
- Greeting cards
- Decorative Items – The purchase of decorative items (plants, paintings, flowers, etc.) from University-administered funds is allowable only if the items are placed in a general reception area frequented by students and/or the general public. Additionally, decorative items may be purchased for an event if the participant's fees cover payment for the items. The purchase of items placed in employee lounges, assigned offices or other work areas are not allowable.
- Appliances for break rooms (e.g. microwaves, refrigerators, coffee makers) are allowable if they are part of an approved building project or they are replacing existing, faulty appliances. Appliances for individual use in private offices are not allowed.
- Insurance - Insurance is not reimbursable, including flight insurance. All insurance must be processed through Risk Management. Trip insurance is not normally reimbursable. Exceptions may occasionally be granted for foreign travel when it is cost/risk justified and approved in advance by contacting email@example.com.
- Services paid directly to an individual by the University are allowable; however, due to the tax implications, services may not be paid by employees out of pocket and then claimed for reimbursement.
- House hunting expenses
- Expenses associated with fundraising/development
- Expenses incurred for an employee’s spouse, except as allowed for in Policy 201.J – Job Applicant Interview Expenses
Travelers and departmental staff should contact their respective Divisional Business Office for policy or procedural questions.
Divisional Business Offices may e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.