Policy/Procedure: 201.M Non-Payable/Reimbursable Expenses
Statement of Policy
Following is a list of expenses which are not payable/reimbursable with university funds.
Note: The list is not all inclusive.
- Expenses which do not have a UW-Madison business purpose
- Professional License Fees
- Late payment penalties and interest on My Corporate Card
- Items that require a receipt and no receipt showing payment is provided
- Alcoholic beverages
- Spouse or family member's travel costs (Chancellor's and President's spouse and host may be allowable with justification and proper approval)
- Personal telephone calls*, personal internet charges, personal fax charges (*Exception: Travelers on international business trips may be reimbursed for personal phone calls up to $10 per day.)
- Lost/stolen cash or personal property
- Personal items and services, e.g. toiletries, luggage, clothes, haircuts, etc.
- Laundry, cleaning, pressing costs for trips of three days or less
- Avoidable expenses for non-business related activities, such as sightseeing tours, golf outings etc.
- Traffic citations, parking tickets and other fines
- Extra fuel costs incurred to have a vehicle rental vendors refuel vehicles at above market fuel rates
- Additional charges incurred for personal reasons involving vehicle rentals
- Locksmith charges on either fleet, rental or personal vehicle, except when fleet or rental vehicles experience mechanical problems
- Excess cost of circuitous or side trips for personal reasons
- Parking costs at the assigned workplace
- Repairs, towing service, lubrication, etc., for personal vehicles
- Meals included in the cost of airfare, registration fees, lodging, etc.
- Pay for view movies in hotel/motel room
- Personal entertainment
- Extra costs for additional person(s) in room
- Additional charges for late checkout or un-cancelled guaranteed reservations (unless justified)
- Lodging cost at unlicensed facilities unless there is a substantial cost benefit to the UW (must attach justification)
- Lodging within 50 miles of the headquarters city (unless properly justified and approved)
- Extra baggage charges for personal items, such as golf clubs, skis, etc.
- Airline, car, hotel, corporate card club membership dues
- Childcare costs
- Kennel fees
- Greeting Cards
- Decorative Items – The purchase of decorative items (plants, paintings, flowers, etc.) from University-administered funds is allowable only if the items are placed in a general reception area frequented by students and/or the general public. Additionally, decorative items may be purchased for an event if the participant's fees cover payment for the items. The purchase of items placed in employee lounges, assigned offices or other work areas are not allowable.
- The purchase or payment of breakroom appliances & furnishings (microwaves, refrigerators, coffee makers, etc.) unless part of an approved building project are not payable through the University. These types of expenditures are considered personal in nature unless they are part of a prior approved business function or the items are placed in a common area for use by the general public.
- Insurance - Insurance is not reimbursable, including flight insurance. All insurance must be processed through Risk Management. Trip insurance is not normally reimbursable. Exceptions may occasionally be granted for foreign travel when it is cost/risk justified and approved in advance by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Services - Payments to other individuals must be paid by other mechanisms because they may be tax reportable to the individual. Services should not be paid by our employees and claimed for reimbursement.
- Shuttle for guests to graduation ceremony
- Visitor parking at graduation ceremony
- Corsages and boutonnieres for graduates
Travelers and departmental staff should contact their respective Divisional Business Office for policy or procedural questions.
Divisional Business Offices may e-mail email@example.com with questions.