Direct Payment Form Instructions
When to Use the Direct Payment (DP) Form
Use the Direct Payment (DP) form to make payments when an invoice is provided by the following:
- Individual non-employee (vendor) (*see criteria about services below)
- Company (including LLCs)
- Institution (Do not use the DP form to pay UW-Madison departments.)
The following criteria must also be followed:
- Submit only one invoice per DP form.
- Use only the DP form located at either of the following so the formatting is in compliance with Imaging requirements:
- Payments to individual non-employees for services* must be done on the Payment to Individual Report (PIR); see Policy 101-Payments to Individuals at http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/acct/policy/pir/pirpol.html.
- Reimbursement for travel and expenses to individuals (employees and non-employees) must be done through the e-Reimbursement system.
- Find reimbursement policy at http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/acct/policy/ppindex.html.
- Best judgment purchases ($5,000 or less) must comply with the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s purchasing policies and procedures, accounting policies and procedures, and with extramural funding agency restrictions; reference “Purchasing Policy & Procedure (PPP) #4 – Special Approvals” at http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/purch/ppp4.html.
- Use Purchasing Card guidelines for acceptable and non acceptable purchases found at http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/acct/purchcd/allowable.html.
- Additional options for transactions previously paid by Confirming Requisition ($5,000 or less) with invoice attached:
- Place the order via the Purchasing Card process
- Initiate the order via a formal Purchase Order from the onset
- Submit a Direct Payment form
- Effective January 1, 2010, UW-Madison requires that a completed and signed form W-9 (or W-8BEN for Non-Resident Aliens) be attached to all tax-reportable payments requested on Payment to Individual Reports (PIR) and Direct Payments (DP), but not for payments made through PO’s and ASSO.
- Any payments to a non-employee on the account codes listed on the document, 1099-MISC/1042S Tax Reportable Transactions by Account Codes, must be paid through the Payment to Individual Report (PIR), Direct Payment (DP), or Purchasing Services (PO’s, ASSA, etc.).
- Payments to Research Subjects must be made following the policies and procedures at 103-Payments to Human Subjects.
- Non-U.S. Source Income payments are exempt from tax withholding and reporting. For details on what constitutes Non-U.S. Source Income payments please refer to Federal Tax Withholding under the section on Non-U.S. Source Income.
- Additional SFS Account code information is available at http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/acct/ccode.html.
|Vendor#:||Each vendor will be added to our SFS Accounting System Vendor File and be assigned a vendor number. For Accounting Services use only, leave blank.|
|Voucher#:||Each payment made in the SFS Accounting System will be assigned a voucher number. For Accounting Services use only, leave blank.|
|Check Payable To:||The full vendor name.|
|Taxpayer ID#:||Social Security Number (SSN), Employer Identification Number (EIN), Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).|
|Type of Payment:||Select Vendor.|
|Send Check To:||Complete mailing address or any special handling instructions (i.e., call for pickup, campus mail)|
|Invoice Number:||If there is a vendor invoice number complete as invoice number. If order form or other payment document use date of expense—complete as MMDDYY.|
|Payment Handling Code:||Determines how the check will be routed. For Accounting Services use only, leave blank.|
|Funding:||Amount, Account, Fund, Dept, Prog, Class (Building #), Budget Year, Project|
Add additional contact information from the Dean’s Office to be contacted instead of the individual listed on the DP/PIR form. Add the contact's name and phone number directly under the departmental contact person. (Hint: Use "Alt + Enter" when adding the additional information in the field. Using only the "Enter" key will result in moving to the next cell or field in the form.)
Accounts Payable will only contact the person indicated from the Dean's Office as responsible for supplying additional information; not both. If Accounts Payable receives a form without an additional Dean's Office contact name, the contact person indicated on the form will be the only one contacted.
|Receipt Requirements||See Policy 201.L - Receipt Requirements|
|Additional Information/Justification:||Describe the expense being paid/reimbursed. If vendor billed airfare or registration, include the following details: name of person the expense was for, destination, business purpose, and dates.|
|Approving Signatures/Dates:||Supervisor, Dean/Director Business Office, and institutional Pre-Audit.|
|Submitting the form:||
Print and submit one copy of the form.
Photocopy original receipts that are not 8 ½ by 11 and attach the photocopy to the DP instead of the original.
Upon receipt of a properly submitted invoice, order form, payment document, or paid receipt, Accounting Services will process payment according to Wisconsin Prompt Payment Statutes.
Please send one completed form to Accounting Services, Suite 5301, 21 N. Park Street.
Red triangles in various fields of the form contain comments designed to help you complete the form. Also, some form text is hyper linked to web information that will assist you in completing the form.
There are many versions of Excel on campus. The form has been developed to print on one page. If you are having problems printing, on the Excel tool bar, select File, then Page Set Up. This will open a dialog box for you to select "Fit to 1 page". If this solution does not work, please contact your IT support person for further assistance.
Questions regarding this form should be directed to Roger Lokken.